Bits
Dear All –
A few of you have asked a number of the same questions about Greg, and so I thought I’d try to answer some tonight:
* taste and tongue – there seems to be little change here. On the right side of the tongue there is still no, or almost no, taste. That and lack of feeling results in Greg mostly chewing on the left side. As he has no feeling on the inside of his cheek either, he often ‘loses’ food in there, which he quite dislikes.
* his eyelid: yes, it still is closing at night, when he is relaxed enough that he is falling asleep, and it even partially flutters when he is speaking, but only part way. So there is no blinking or intentional closing, which is a necessary eye-protection function. According to the physio/kiné this week, all that side is still 100% paralysed. But we’ve still 5 months.
* no, he’s not doing very much better at speaking the way he should. I’ve remembered to remind him a couple of times, but I need to be much better.
* no he’s not sick of phone-calls – far from it! He loves getting them (it’s a good thing for a telephone-phobe like me to be married to a telephone-phile like him!). So phone on!
*his energy increases daily, but he still tires out…and he can’t yet juggle a million thoughts/plans/ideas in his head yet, as he’s used to. This latter frustrates him particularly, but is part of the very reason people are supposed to take off sufficient time after major surgery – because it is normal for both the brain and the body to take time to recover, even for folk whose surgery was not on the brain (having been in the latter situation a number of times myself, I’m all too aware that this is the case). For certain periods of time, he may seem completely back to norm, other than his face...but live with him for 24 hours, and you'll discover that that's not quite the case. Just give him time though...(his big challenge will be giving himself time: he is well sick of being a patient and does his darndest not to appear one!)
*yes we finally have a proper internet connection (though it is not fast) – it’ll probably be a day or two before I get to start answering the line-up of e-mails though.
* yes, Greg’s cheeks are as rosy as ever!!
I fear I keep promising a longer description of various aspects of our home and life…but I need to sit down in the middle of the day to write that, for each night I'm just too tired. The flu is mostly gone, but is still slowing me down, and keeping me fairly low-key. Wonderfully, both Greg and Bruce seem to have avoided it.
Greg got Bruce working hard today, moving rocks and shifting soil…not surprisingly, the manual labourer (my brother) is more tired than the recumbent overseer (my husband) tonight. But we filled him up with Raclette (regional dish with lots of cheese and potatoes), apple cider, and chocolate for dinner – hopefully he’ll still be in fine form tomorrow!
More anon…and Greg promised tonight that he will write on the blog very Soon!
Love,
Kirstin
A few of you have asked a number of the same questions about Greg, and so I thought I’d try to answer some tonight:
* taste and tongue – there seems to be little change here. On the right side of the tongue there is still no, or almost no, taste. That and lack of feeling results in Greg mostly chewing on the left side. As he has no feeling on the inside of his cheek either, he often ‘loses’ food in there, which he quite dislikes.
* his eyelid: yes, it still is closing at night, when he is relaxed enough that he is falling asleep, and it even partially flutters when he is speaking, but only part way. So there is no blinking or intentional closing, which is a necessary eye-protection function. According to the physio/kiné this week, all that side is still 100% paralysed. But we’ve still 5 months.
* no, he’s not doing very much better at speaking the way he should. I’ve remembered to remind him a couple of times, but I need to be much better.
* no he’s not sick of phone-calls – far from it! He loves getting them (it’s a good thing for a telephone-phobe like me to be married to a telephone-phile like him!). So phone on!
*his energy increases daily, but he still tires out…and he can’t yet juggle a million thoughts/plans/ideas in his head yet, as he’s used to. This latter frustrates him particularly, but is part of the very reason people are supposed to take off sufficient time after major surgery – because it is normal for both the brain and the body to take time to recover, even for folk whose surgery was not on the brain (having been in the latter situation a number of times myself, I’m all too aware that this is the case). For certain periods of time, he may seem completely back to norm, other than his face...but live with him for 24 hours, and you'll discover that that's not quite the case. Just give him time though...(his big challenge will be giving himself time: he is well sick of being a patient and does his darndest not to appear one!)
*yes we finally have a proper internet connection (though it is not fast) – it’ll probably be a day or two before I get to start answering the line-up of e-mails though.
* yes, Greg’s cheeks are as rosy as ever!!
I fear I keep promising a longer description of various aspects of our home and life…but I need to sit down in the middle of the day to write that, for each night I'm just too tired. The flu is mostly gone, but is still slowing me down, and keeping me fairly low-key. Wonderfully, both Greg and Bruce seem to have avoided it.
Greg got Bruce working hard today, moving rocks and shifting soil…not surprisingly, the manual labourer (my brother) is more tired than the recumbent overseer (my husband) tonight. But we filled him up with Raclette (regional dish with lots of cheese and potatoes), apple cider, and chocolate for dinner – hopefully he’ll still be in fine form tomorrow!
More anon…and Greg promised tonight that he will write on the blog very Soon!
Love,
Kirstin

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home